Re: Are we "special"?

Phillip Bigelow (bh162@scn.org)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 19:52:41 -0800

Thomas Clarke wrote:

> So the word "special" is a red-flag indicating creationism?

Substitute "creationism" with "philosophical beliefs OR creationism".
Yes. In PA, to me it is a red-flag. I can't speak for anyone else.
I prefer the more succinct words: derived, apomorphy, plesiomorphy, etc.
These words don't carry so much biased weight as does "special"
or "unique".
I fully realize that many pop-authors have based *entire* books
on the flawed idea that humans are unique animals. Hell, Elaine
Morgan wrote two books using such a premise (and I have read them
both). So I realize that I am fighting an up-hill battle with you
on this topic.

> Do you have a list of red-flag words you could post, or
> provide a pointer for words that should be avoided?

Well, don't let me stop you from using your own choice of words!
You can use any terminology you wish to describe the evolution of
hominids. That doesn't mean I will always enthusiastically agree with
your usage. I was just pointing out that Paul and Ed Conrad appear
to share the same premise about humans. Otherwise, they wouldn't
use the same word. The fact that they are at opposite ends of
the evolution-creationism debate is not relavent to the point that
I was making.
<pb>