Re: Are we "special"?

Phillip Bigelow (bh162@scn.org)
Sat, 07 Dec 1996 20:17:30 -0800

Thomas Clarke wrote:

> I distinguish the dynamics
> from the boundary condition. The process from the preconditions.
> Evolution is the process.

Are you claiming that evolution acted in a unique ("special") way to
produce unique ("special") creatures (hominids)?
If so, even though you are using evolution as the mechanism,
your *premise* (the purported unique and special origins for
hominids) is identical to the premise in the Book of Genesis.
All you are adding is the "scientific wrapping paper" of evolution
around your religious belief.

Humans as a species are no more unique than any other
defined species. Nor are humans any less unique than any other
defined species. And within our own primate clade, humans are
much more similar to chimpazees than are humming birds to ostriches.

It amazes me how so many people are unable to distinguish their
religious views (or, alternatively, philosophies) from
any conclusions that must be derived from the scientific method.
<pb>