Re: An alternative to ST and AAT

Gerrit Hanenburg (G.Hanenburg@inter.nl.net)
Sat, 07 Dec 1996 08:10:54 GMT

Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk (Paul Crowley) wrote:

>In any case, reference to any dictionary will confirm that "striding"
>excludes "waddling", and vice versa. The essential distinction
>appears to be in the length of step: "stride" refers to a long
>one whereas "waddle" implies a short step, probably restricted
>in some way - most commonly by length of leg.

>I am quite happy that different kinds of "waddling" should be
>distinguished; but none of them should be confused with
>"striding".

You are the one who's causing the confusion. In the technical
literature alternating bipedalism is synonymous with bipedal striding.
As such it is only distinguished from saltatorial bipedalism.
See Rose,M.D.(1991), The process of bipedalization in hominids.
p. 37-48 in Coppens,Y. and Senut,B.(1991), Origine(s) de la bipedie
chez les Hominides. CNRS Paris.

Gerrit