Re: CROSSING THE BERING STRAIT? How ridiculous!

Chuck Blatchley (cblatchl@pittstate.edu)
Fri, 06 Dec 1996 17:24:17 -0800

Phillip E Werst wrote:

> On 29 Nov 1996, Ed Conrad wrote:
> > Whoever came up with the theory that man arrived in
> > North America by crossing the Bering Strait is certainly a prime
> > candidate for science's Dunce of the Century Award.

[major snip]

> Um didn't they cross the Bering Strait on account of them following their
> major food source? I.E. Mammoths and Bison and other wild game. And
> maybee would the fact that they were following herd of game give them
> enough food for the voyage? And (stop me if you heard this one) don't you
> figure that skins from mammoths might be thick enough to keep some of
> those nasty hostile elements out?

Also, the elements weren't so hostile then. I believe if you check the
latest work of the climate modelers, they show that although ice ages
make cold summers in temperate regions, they actually moderate winter and
conditions in both seasons to the north. This might explain why the
fossils in these regions show waves of animal migrations near the end of
the last big freeze. I helped dig some megafauna out of a bluff in Alaska
about 20 years ago, and there were scrapers and cutting tools in the same
layer.

--
Chuck Blatchley Pittsburg State University
email: cblatchl@pittstate.edu Pittsburg, KS 66762