Re: An alternative to ST and AAT

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 29 Nov 96 12:08:37 GMT

In article <01bbdbdc$c31d8380$LocalHost@dan-pc>
rohinton@collins.prestel.co.uk "Rohinton Collins" writes:

> The only thing we know for sure is this: Lucy's bipedalism is more
> efficient than ape quadrupedalism only during walking.

We do NOT know this. In fact, everything indicates the opposite.
Please state exactly how you think Lucy could be more "efficient".

> So Lucy walked a lot.

This is most unlikely. Remember -- she "waddled". She was not
designed for walking a lot.

> If we can find out why she walked a lot, we would find the reason for
> the evolution of hominid bipedalism.

You're on the wrong track. Go right back to the start. Lucy's
ancestors stood and walked upright for utterly different reasons.

Paul.