Re: Hominid fossils FAQ file

Jim Foley (jimf@lennon.FtCollins.NCR.com)
15 Dec 94 19:54:14 GMT

In article <3ckn5u$s27@newsbf01.news.aol.com>,
DK SAVANT <dksavant@aol.com> wrote:

>In article <5705@ncr-mpd.FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM>,
>jimf@lennon.FtCollins.NCR.com (Jim Foley) writes:
>
>>I have compiled a FAQ file for the talk.origins newsgroup listing the
>>known hominid species, some of the more important fossil finds, common
>>creationist arguments concerning them, etc
>
>Jim, I'm interested in early African burial sites. It seems that the
>African fossil record is devoid of Neanderthals and early Cro-Magnon... or
>the black Africans that live there are relative new-commers. Early homo
>sapien sapiens sites have been found in the Middle East but virtually NONE
>have been found in Africa! I finds that hard to believe! Can you help?

I haven't heard of any African burial sites, but there are some
H.sapiens fossils from Africa (Oldoway Man, the Kanjera skulls, the
Kanam Jaw) which I mention in the FAQ file because creationists
sometimes refer to them. They are thought to be H.sapiens sapiens.
and are presumeably the same species as Cro-Magnon, but I doubt anyone
knows whether they belong to the Cro-Magnon culture.

I don't think any Neandertals are known from Africa or East Asia, but
there are some fossils that have been called Neandertaloid: possessing
Neandertal characteristics (Rhodesian man, not covered in the FAQ, may
be an example).

I thought modern humans had been in Africa for a long time, but I don't
know for sure, and I doubt anyone knows where modern humans first
appeared (hopefully someone can prove me wrong here).

--
Jim Foley (303) 223-5100 x9765
Jim.Foley@FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM NCR-MPD Fort Collins