Re: cannibalism among chimps

/\/\ (
28 Aug 1996 00:28:34 -0700

In article <4ve18b$>, (Yousuf Khan) wrote:
>I don't know if this is the appropriate newsgroup to post this.
>If it isn't then just don't post any responses in this newsgroup
>and send me a message via e-mail telling me where to go.
>I was watching a show chronicleing the life of various tribes of
>chimpanzees. There was one tribe in which males would kidnap one
>of the babies from one of the mothers and ritualistically
>cannibalize the baby. Has there been any explanation found for
>such behaviour, since that show aired? It seems to happen only
>within one tribe of chimps, and they cannibalize their own
>youngsters, not necessarily youngsters from neighbouring tribes,
>which seemed particularly vicious to me (probably indicative of
>deep tensions within the tribe).
>Are there any sites devoted to this topic?

Not that I'm aware of, but I know something that can add to your
'database'. Another show, from Jane Goodall's study, showed a
mother/daughter pair that would once in a while, steal a baby
from within their tribe and cannibalize it. It was rather shocking
to Mrs. Goodall. In time, the mother died but the daughter did not
carry on this behavior.

Steve "Chris" Price
Associate Professor of Computational Aesthetics
Amish Chair of Electrical Engineering
University of Ediacara "A fine tradition since 530,000,000 BC"