Re: The origin of personal property

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 25 Aug 96 09:07:24 GMT

In article <rfoyDwLIDq.Cyw@netcom.com> rfoy@netcom.com "Richard Foy" writes:

> Paul Crowley <Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Actually, I can't conceive of a nomadic hominid
> >form of life without fire, tools, shelter and advanced weapons.
>
> Could you sumarize the reasons each of these would be needed for
> nomandic hominids?

We're looking at East Africa so "nomadic" implies high ground and
probably the continental heartland, which means the occasional
(or more frequent) very cold night and this requires shelter.
Fire is needed to keep nocturnal predators at bay. Weapons are
needed for diurnal predators and probably for food. Perhaps tools
and "advanced weapons" are not essential, but they are generally
reckoned to go along with shelter and fire.

Paul.