Re: Dissecting the Aquatic Ape: Bipedalism

Richard Foy (rfoy@netcom.com)
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:01:56 GMT

In article <4tnlu6$521@portal.gmu.edu>,
HARRY R. ERWIN <herwin@mason2.gmu.edu> wrote:

>: My understanding is that hominid evolution was quite rapid as the
>: evolution of species go. However, I was unaware that the rapidity of that
>: change was a possible argument for it being behavorially caused. My
>: understanding of chimpanzees is that they have the rudiments of a culture
>: and that the culture can change from group to group. If our distant
>: ancestors had cultures too, isn't trying to predict the behavorial basis
>: of their speciation very, very, problematic?
>
>Oh yes, except that we have evidence for very slow cultural change until
>about 110 KYr BP.

Isn't this evidence related to stone tools?

>Fitness is defined in relative terms. If the interpersonal behavior
>within a specific group became deadly, the group would disappear.

Not if the deadlyness only wiped out a subset of the males. Is not
this the result of the Yanamomo culture. They apparrently have not
disappeared, and if they do disapper it will not be a result of there
intraculural behavior but rather from the results of an external
culture with a greater capacity for violence.

--
Western Kundali; Chakra 1 awakening,
"Greed is good." -- Michael Douglas in Wall Street

URL http://www.he.tdl.com/~hfanoe/index.html