Re: ear wax

Ray Russ (rruss@leland.stanford.edu)
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 09:22:44 -0700

In article <kmkniff1.40.3037FD24@omni.voicenet.com>,
kmkniff1@omni.voicenet.com (kevin m. kniffin) wrote:

> given the crowd here, i thought someone could tell me why humans (and other
> species?) exude "wax" from their ears....
>
> --k

Several responses so far have hit the mark.

It is believe that ear wax serves two primary functions 1) to trap dust
and dirt particles from reaching the timpanic membrane as well as reduce
the amount of bacteria and fungi 2) deters wayward insects from going
farther up the canal as they find the "flavor" of the wax to be MOST
obnoxious. FYI, ear wax when first excreated is a clear substance.