Re: Piltdown dupes

Phil Nicholls (pnich@globalone.net)
Sun, 13 Aug 1995 02:58:17 GMT

revearll@aol.com (Rev EarlL) wrote:

>Are you quite sure that the Sir Arthur to which you are referring is Conan
>Doyle? Piltdown was a live issue in my generation in Palaeoanthrpology,
>and we had to wrestle with E. A. Hooten's taking it hook, line and sinker.
>But one of the lights who also gave considerable support to the "finds"
>was Sir Arthur Keith. I personally doubt that Conan Doyle was enough with
>it in this world to have noticed old Pilty.
>Earl L. Langguth

Actually, I heard a rumor that Conan-Doyle and Keith hated each other
and that Conan Doyle actually planted the piltdown remains to humble
Keith.
Phil Nicholls pnich@globalone.net
"There is a grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having
been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and
that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of
gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most
wonderful have been and are being evolved."
[Last sentence from _On the Origin of Species_, by Charles Darwin