Re: where's Jane Auel (Clan of the Cavebear, etc.)

Daniel Yee (danny@cs.su.oz.au)
10 Aug 1995 12:49:07 +1000

In article <chiwitoDCr6y9.Fu0@netcom.com>,
brian r. mcdonald <chiwito@netcom.com> wrote:
>possibly, instead, for having
>written such an outstandingly researched work of anthropology that
>it is the only work of fiction i have ever read which could quite
>legitimately be use as the text of an undergraduate course (other
>than a lit course, obviously, for those prone to a sarky reply).

An undergraduate course in what? I can't imagine anyone using Auel as
a text in a palaeoanthropology course, except perhaps for humour value.
As for her being a great novelist... I'm not sure whether that is
less or more laughable an idea! (Note: my opinion is based solely
on _Clan of the Cave Bear_ and _Valley of Horses_ -- that was about
as much as I could cope with.)

If you want a work of fiction which could be used in an anthropology
course, have a look at Ursula Le Guin's _Always Coming Home_.

Danny Yee.