Re: Who Killed the Australopithecines?

Phil Nicholls (
24 Apr 1995 04:31:22 GMT

In article <>, BARD <> wrote:
> Let's back up a little here....
> We're talking about genocide of A. species by the next
> "higher" order.
> That would be H. habilis.
> I used H.sapiens in my example because of our documented history
> of genocide not because I believe H.sapiens killed off A. species.

The fossil record clearly indicates that Australopithecus robustus survived
until 1.0 mya, possible to 700,000 years ago. That means that they were
alive and kicking after Homo habilis disappeared.

Phil Nicholls "To ask a question you must first
Department of Anthropology know most of the answer."
SUNY Albany -Robert Sheckley SEMPER ALLOUATTA