Re: Who Killed the Australopithecines?

Phil Nicholls (pn8886@csc.albany.edu)
20 Apr 1995 13:09:54 GMT

In article <bardD7BFI4.Lsq@netcom.com>, BARD <bard@netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <3n430h$pou@rebecca.albany.edu>,
>Phil Nicholls <pn8886@csc.albany.edu> wrote:

>>The mtDNA analysis is one piece of a very important debate taking
>>place in anthropology today and the question is by no means settled.
>>As to the issue of genocide the problem with this hypothesis is
>>that there is no evidence to support it, either for Homo erectus
>>or for Australopithecines. One Australopithecine species,
>>Australopithecus robustus, seems to have continued for some time
>>after Homo habilis disappeared.
>>
>>Extinction happens. Sometimes there are reasons, sometimes its
>>a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
>>

>>Phil Nicholls "To ask a question you must first

> Other than the fact that A. species is no longer with us, what
> is your *EVIDENCE* to support the hypothesis their demise
> came by way of natural extinction?
>

> BARD

Please note the last sentence in the second paragraph of my original
message. Australopithecus robustus may have continued to exist until
as recently as 700,000 years ago, well after the extinction of
Homo habilis and well after Homo erectus left Africa.

The only sign of violence we can see in any of the Australopithecine
fossils is some evidence that leopards considered them good prey.

Your proposal is an extraordinary claim and extraordinary claims
require extraordinary evidence. You have presented NO evidence
whatsoever.

MY position is that there is no evidence as to what caused the
extinction of Australopithecines and therefore there is no reason
to suspect and unnatural demise.

--
Phil Nicholls "To ask a question you must first
Department of Anthropology know most of the answer."