Re: Q: Why do humans enjoy music?

20 Apr 1995 02:22:38 GMT

In article <3n1m86$>, (Kenneth B. Cadby) writes:
>[ Article crossposted from sci.anthropology ]
>[ Author was ]
>[ Posted on 12 Apr 1995 02:25:25 -0700 ]
><deleted to save space>
>Any evidence for animals enjoying music?

Well, I have an African Grey Parrot who just *loves* music -- tries to sing
along quite a bit. I have also read reports of chimps "drumming" in the
forests. The Oubi, a West African tribe, say that god gave chimps music, as
one compensation for their ugliness (the Oubi word for chimp means "ugly man").

>Oh yeah, dance... well, that's another question, isn't it?

Kohler recounts witnessing what he referred to as "primitive dance" among
his captive chimps.

Caroline R. Cooper