Re: Who Killed the Australopithecines?

BARD (bard@netcom.com)
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 14:14:43 GMT

In article <6APR199516143443@scsud.ctstateu.edu>,
VITALE <scsc10107014@scsud.ctstateu.edu> wrote:
>In article <bardD673D5.M88@netcom.com>, bard@netcom.com (BARD) writes...
>>
>> Everything being equal, they were better equipped to survive
>> than either ape or man; yet they perished... How and by whom?
>>

>> Bard
>
>I'm very curious how how one could say that an Australopithecine was
>better equiped to survive in their environ. than a Homo Sapien.
>I think that natural selection speaks for it's self!!!

________________________

As in the case of A. robustus, natural selection
sometimes dead ends.

Further, A. africanus, for example, existed for over
a million years, 800,000 more than Homo sapiens
can thus far claim (1).

In total the Australopithecines may have flourished for over
4 million years and surely would've continued if it weren't for the
that which threatens all species-- man (or at least H. habilis, the
closest thing to man at the time).

BARD (new and improved)

(1). "The Human Career" Richard Klein, see data re. longevity
of Hominids.