Re: Who Killed the Australopithecines?

Jim Foley (jimf@vangelis.FtCollins.NCR.com)
30 Mar 1995 20:08:52 GMT

In article <bardD673D5.M88@netcom.com>, BARD <bard@netcom.com> wrote:

> Everything being equal, they were better equipped to survive
> than either ape or man; yet they perished... How and by whom?
>
> Bard

On what grounds do you say this? I have never read anything that would
suggest it, and it doesn't even make much sense to say such a thing.
Chimps are probably better at living on fruit in jungles,
australopithecines were probably better at living on nuts and berries in
a savannah environement. Neither are "better" in some absolute sense of
the word.

I'm also curious about your earlier messages about proving that piths
are extinct. What more proof would you want than the fact that they're
not found? (A fossilized autobiography of the last living
australopithecine?) We can be 99.999999% sure they're gone, and that's
good enough for me.

--
Jim Foley Symbios Logic, Fort Collins
Jim.Foley@symbios.com (303) 223-5100 x9765