Re: Aesthetic Anthropology?

N. Bannister - L. Maners (landn@AZSTARNET.COM)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:54:11 -0700

Although the anthropology of art has been around for a long time (viz,
Boas "Primitive Art" and almost every introductory textbook has a chapter
on art as a cross-cultural human phenomena, aesthetic anthropology is
more of a field in the making than an established field of study. I was
lucky,in both my M.A. program (C.S.U.S.) and my PhD,(UCLA) to find
advisors who were interested in it. (my speciality is dance/music). The
reference which established the field is Maquet's article, "Introduction
to Aesthetic Anthropology" (1971). He ran an aesthetic anthro grad
seminar at UCLA where we developed (among other things) course outlines
for aesthetic anthropology. There is no program that does aesthetic
anthro specifically, just as there isn't one that specializes in dance,
it's simply a matter of finding a faculty member, or if you're lucky,
two, who are interested in the subject and willing to advise you. There
are a number of anthro of art collections of articles which will give you
a sense of what the field might be about; I'll be happy to post you a few
if you're interested. Best Wishes, Lynn