Re: anthropology of art

Martin Cohen (mcohen@UCLA.EDU)
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 21:03:50 -0700

>In reply to Katerina's question, the field of anthropology which deals
>with art is called "aesthetic anthropology" so that it includes all
>aspects of human expressive culture. The classic reference is Maquet's
>"Introduction to Aesthetic Anthropology" (1972?), and his more recent
>work on Visual Experience.

Maquet published _The Aesthetic Experience: An Anthropologist Looks at the
Visual Arts_ , Yale University press, in 1986. A very useful book if this
is your area of interest.

Martin Cohen