Re: Respected qualities

Ruby Rohrlich (rohrlich@GWIS2.CIRC.GWU.EDU)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 23:25:18 -0500

Couldn't agree with you more, Ronald. This is something that is more of a
burden
for males than for females, although women suffer from it too. Studies
indicate that taller women, as well as men, get more prestigious,
better-paying jobs than shorter women. But that very good novelist (using
science fiction to make her points), Ursula LeGuin, daughter of the
Kroebers, wrote Coming Home, in which her protagonists were "shortish"
and "roundish.." A thread was started sometime ago on the stigma of
shortness in the U.S., but was dropped. Robert Reich, who occupies an
important position in the Clinton administration, is less than 5 feet
tall. I believe he is the exception.However, I think average heights are
dropping because of the influx of immigrants from Asia and Latin America.
Ruby Rohrlich