Re: _New York Times_ & the downsizing of America

Ralph L Holloway (rlh2@COLUMBIA.EDU)
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 15:58:38 -0500

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Michael Cahill wrote:

> Yesterday's _New York Times_ (Sunday 3/3) featured part 1 of a seven part
> series on the downsizing of America. I'm in the process of downloading it
> from AOL. From what I hear, based on the initial segment, the series should
> be very good indeed.

Yes, indeed, I would say it was very good. About three + full pages of
the NY Times, with lots of stats, and interviews with those
"nonretained". Today's (Monday) features Chase Manhattan, whose assets
grew by 38% over the last ten years, while its work force skidded by 28%.
Nice quote from Thomas G. Labrecque, C.E.O. who has cut about 10,000 jobs
("with more to come") : "If you're doing what you think is right for
everyone involved, then your fine. So I'm fine".
Frankly it would be a relief if a different thread could get started
and we could worry less about what everyone is titled, or what we call
our docs, etc, and wonder about what the hell is being done to people
with this downsizing hysteria that appears to have captivated our
Captains of Industry...
Ralph Holloway