Re: studentadvising...what one shouldn't say

Matthew Adrian Sammels (msammels@TARTARUS.UWA.EDU.AU)
Sat, 2 Mar 1996 13:39:19 +0800

I agree with what Amy has to say. My experiences with university
educators as a present undergraduate, I have found all academics from
tutors to professors, and in certain forums the VC, to prefer being
called by their first name. The reasoning behind this as told to us as
by a senior staff member in the Anthro. Dept. in our first ever lecture
was that each person knows what they are here for, and first name terms
allow much more open communication. But this also being Australia, the
land of egalitarianism, if one is to believe what Anthropoligists see in
Australian society (and why not believe it ???? it is true !!!), it is
this egalitarianism that makes us shun any form of titling when
addressing people.

Just my AUS$0.02632 (US$0.02 @1/3/96)

Matt Sammels