Re: ANTHRO-L Digest - 17 Mar ...

Thomas W. Rimkus (trimkus@COMP.UARK.EDU)
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 10:13:21 -0600

On Sun, 19 Mar 1995, Marie E. Seitz wrote:

> It was mentioned that women's activist networks are or have formed. I just
> thought that a mention of Women's Wire would also be of interest to many. It
> is a gopher at:
> gopher://gopher.wwire.net/
>
> I hope that this is a welcome addition.
>
> Marie Seitz
> SUNY at Buffalo
> Dept. of Anthro

There has been a lot of traffic on the list lately concerning various
options for discussing feminist anthropological issues. What is wrong with
airing them right here? If the traffic gets too heavy, maybe a split
would be in order, but right now there seems to be room for some
discussion. But I dont think a split based on gender is helpful.

I think there is a real distinction between "feminist anthropologist"
and "female anthropologist". The "ist-ness" of the former seems to put
"feminist" ahead of "anthropologist" in more ways than just the name.
On this list, we see female anthropologists and male anthropologists;
we hear from professional anthropologists and from lay anthropologists.
We also seem to have feminist anthropologists and .....well, I dont know
who the opposing subset is made of.

What is the real goal in segregating women from men into separate lists?
Aren't most of the members of Antro-l on the list because they are
anthropologists (professional or lay, female or male) and doesn't that mean
they are interested in what people are all about? One thing people are all
about is difference of opinion and conflict. Would it not be better to
expend the energy which goes into the segregating effort into promoting
issues and avenues in an environment which includes everyone.

I recently realized, after reading a posting from James Burton that some
members of the list (particularly females) do not feel at ease to submit
opinion or offer new topics. This is the area to focus on by those
wanting to give voice to those with alternative views.

The last thing we should do, IMHO, is to divide into non-communicating
factions when it comes to dealing with the social issues that face us all.
We need to pull together, learn to speak the same language, encourage
each other, and seek understanding.

It kind of reminds me of two people in a sinking rowboat fighting over
who gets to use the bucket.

Tom Rimkus
Madison County
Arkansas