Re: community

Thomas W. Rimkus (trimkus@COMP.UARK.EDU)
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 17:42:26 -0600

On Wed, 15 Mar 1995, Lynn Nordquist wrote:
> What *I* observed in the list interactions was
> pack behavior. There began an attack and then a feeding frenzy that
> didn't stop until the "intruder" was gone. Doesn't this behavior
> prove one of Mr. Johnson's accusations, which was that he saw
> anthropologists as not caring as much about people as they do about
> concepts or publishing? I found the lack of thoughtful debate a bit
> frightening and to then banish the intruder

Surely, you are not still mixing the responses to RJ's postings with his
ousting from the list. That issue was settled long ago. Frankly, I wish
he had played the rules a little better. Some of his postings were
hitting at the heart of the discipline and could (thru a process of
serious debate) have produced positive long term results. There is always
room to grow.