Re: l'innommable

C. Taylor (cmtaylor@BLUE.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU)
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 09:50:25 -0600

This Robert Johnson bruhaha is beginning to sound like a page out of the
national enquirer! "Let's follow Johnson and his campaign of
questionable terror onto yet another unsuspecting list! Film at 11:00!" I
am admittedly very new to the list and have not been subjected to RJ for
very long, BUT...As the mother of a very vivacious eight-year-old boy, it
seems to me that there are some parallels. If a child is throwing a
temper tantrum and saying wild and irrational things it is far better to
ignore the whole thing until said child "gets it." "Gets it" means that
you're not going to respond to such foolishness and suddenly the
foolishness is just no fun anymore. It occurs to me that RJ just might
need to be treated in this way. Perhaps if the members of the lists that
he chooses to invade would IGNORE him, it would cease to be "fun" to
create all of this controversy. In the past week, since Hugh's decision
[which I might add seems sound after reading his explanation], RJ
account. Let's move on to something a bit more interesting, hmmmmm?

How about this one:
Is there any interest from the folks on this list in a Feminist Anthro
List? I would like to do an informal survey to see if it would be worth
my time to check into the possibilities. As far as I know, our program
[which offers a Ph.D. in Feminist Anthropology] is the only one of it's
kind in the U.S. While there are many FemAnthropologists out there, we
here at the U of I feel a bit disconnected since we are so far away from
either the Eastern Seaboard schools or the California ones. Please let
me know if you would be interested in this interprise. Happy Reading!

Chris Taylor /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ Program of Feminist Anthropology
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ University of Iowa