Re: R. Johnson Brouhaha

Patrick Shawn Miller (psm2@CORNELL.EDU)
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 17:34:34 -0500

On Sun, 12 Mar 1995, Ronn Dula wrote:

> As a recent subscriber to this list, I have been reading everything for a
> couple of weeks or so, including the Robert Johnson situation. As a human
> communication scholar, rather than as an anthropologist, I have read all
> sides as they have come through. This is, without doubt, a thorny
> situation. The crux of the matter, however, is that no individual has the
> right to engage in speech which can needlessly endanger others. We have
> debated for years whther one has the right to yell *FIRE* in a crowded
> movie theater. The overwhelming consensus has been that no such right to
> so-called free speech exists. My appraisal of Mr. Johnson's discourse, both
> as a scholar and as a former US Marine of the Viet Nam and post-Viet Nam
> era, is that it is the moral equivalent of just such a reckless act. To
> call people to arms in a foreign country, not knowing who will hear your
> call, is both dangerous and wholly irresponsible.

Then, perhaps, someone should have squelched President Johnson's
successful attempts to increase the USA's troop committment in the Veitnam
War.
As I am sure you are aware hundreds of thousands of innocent Americans and
Veitnamese, Thai, Chinese, etc. died in that bloody conflict. I respect
you as a Veteran (I am a non-combat Vet) but your position is ...
questionable.

Patrick S. MIller
psm2@cornell.edu