Re: The Robert Johnson declaration

John Hoopes (HOOPES@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU)
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 18:51:19 -0600

> On Wed, 1 Mar 1995, Luis Medina wrote:
>
> I'm NOT against AIDS research but on the big scale of time only our genes
> and traditions can win this war. For the billions spent on AIDS research
> the only findings and recomendations are to practice safe or monogamous
> sex (if you dont happen to be immune or resistant to it)

To the contrary, AIDS research is revealing an enormous amount of new
information on viruses, immune systems, and pharmacological chemistry.
One could argue that, as with the space program, there are better ways to
discover new polymers. However, it IS making substantial contributions
to knowledge while at the same time giving hope (and we all know how
precious that is) to millions of people alive today.