Re: ACRONYMS and the English Language

David Houston (dhouston@MOOSE.UVM.EDU)
Mon, 28 Mar 1994 08:50:22 -0500

The increasing use of these acronyms, IMHO, is going to alter not just
our linguistic competence (those of us who are 'netters), but it would
seem to be creating a language "class" of its own. Indeed, when I began
my Net travels, these were FAFB, but of late - and not coincidentally,
concurrent with the rise of Internet use - their proliferation seems to
be gaining speed nearly exponentially!
Will those who are non-literate in such terms be "left out" in Netland?
Are those persons who dont RTFM going to be languishing with the cast-off
remnants of old, slow hardware?
The whole thing would would make a fascinating study...
There are some of these acronymns that cause me to ROTFL long and hard!
And I'm not even proficient in such gramar!